Follow this recipe to create some basic and tasty Gingerbread treats this Christmas. As a family, the LaTink team love to bake Christmas goods such as Gingerbread in the Holiday Season.
- 150g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (110g) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 3 cups (450g) plain flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 330g royal icing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Combine the butter , sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 3-5 mins or until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Set aside for 30 mins to cool.
- Transfer the butter mixture to a medium bowl. Add the egg and whisk to combine. Stir in the flour , ginger , cinnamon , nutmeg and cloves . Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 mins or until firm.
- Divide dough into quarters. Roll each portion out on a lightly floured surface to a 3mm-thick disc. Cut out your desired shapes. Place on the lined trays. Bake, swapping trays halfway through cooking, for 10-12 mins for smaller shapes or 12-15 mins for larger shapes, or until light golden. Set aside on trays to cool completely.
- To decorate, prepare icing following packet directions. Place in a piping bag fitted with a 2mm plain nozzle. (Alternatively, place in a sealable plastic bag and snip off 1 corner). Pipe onto biscuits. Set aside for 30 mins to set.